The Whakatāne Town Regeneration Programme is a partnership programme between Whakatāne District Council (WDC) and Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa (TRONA) which aims to:
- Reinvigorate Whakatāne’s town centre and reconnect with the river
- Provide fit-for-purpose infrastructure to support the development of the marine and tourism economies
- Support the ongoing development of the marine industry through the provision of a fit-for-purpose boat harbour
Veros were engaged as part of The Whakatāne Town Regeneration Programme to deliver a business case to support the programme’s Provincial Growth Fund (PGF) application, as well as provide several critical pieces of strategic evidence.
To ensure the integration and selection of the best options and to provide robust evidence our team worked cohesively with the client and delivered:
- The Whakatāne Destination Management Plan
- The Marine Action Plan
- Several papers and reports on Strategic Property Investment
- Property feasibility studies for key sites in the town centre
The application was successful and WDC and TRONA received over $29.2m in PGF investment into the programme.
This investment will enable the communities long-held aspirations for a vibrant town centre connected to the Whakatāne River. Transformation of the town and riverfront areas will create a dynamic heart for local residents, as well as support Whakatāne on its journey to becoming a world-class small-town destination for tourists that showcases the town’s rich cultural heritage.
Investment in a new Boat Harbour is a pivotal driver for more growth in the marine and tourism sectors, the ‘hero’ industries that directly impact the Whakatāne economy. The programme focuses on creating more employment opportunities and pathways for people; these opportunities will have a direct impact on community wellbeing.
We are proud of our ongoing work with both Whakatāne District Council and Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa and our involvement in the Whakatane Regeneration Programme. We continue to support funding conversation while shifting our focus to project management and the delivery of change.
Read about our involvement with Whakatāne Tourism Hub, part of the town’s regeneration programme.